We provide External Beam Radiation Therapy at all of our sites and as a standard all are commissioned to provide:
- CT simulation scanning
- 3D treatment planning
- Standard 3D conformal radiotherapy
- Image Guided Radiotherapy (IGRT)
- Intensity Modulated Radiotherapy (IMRT), and
- Volumetric Modulated Arc Radiotherapy (VMAT or RapidArc)
As well as external beam radiotherapy we also have the latest treatment techniques and newest technology available:
- Brainlab - located at the Mater Hospital and provides the clinical opportunity for the treatment of stereotactic body radiotherapy and stereotactic radiosurgery services to be for a variety of different tumour groups, including neurological and respiratory.
- The Gamma Knife - Located at Macquarie University Private Hospital, the Gamma Knife is a fast, safe minimally invasive alternative to brain surgery which has revolutionised the treatment of neurological conditions
- Brachytherapy – Genesis CancerCare developed Australia's first integrated brachytherapy unit at the Mater hospital and we now offer HDR and LDR Brachytherapy at The Mater and Hurstville and LDR at our Newcastle Site.
- Prostate Hydrogel - used in the treatment of prostate cancer, hydrogel is a temporary gel that is injected into the space between the prostate and the rectum before the start of treatment. The aim is to reduce the dose of radiation received by the rectum by increasing the distance between it and the prostate gland, which can significantly reduce side effects for patients.
- Deep Inspiration Breath Hold – an innovative new technique for the treatment of left sided breast cancer which reduces radiation risk to the heart